GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 20:44:22 EDT
Members of Gambia-L:

The Gambia Education Support Organization is happy to present its first
activity report.

Before we get to the report thought, we would like to bring the new Gambia-L
members up to speed on how GESO came about:

1. HISTORY OF GESO:

In March 1997, Musa Sowe initiated a debate titled "PROPOSAL/FOOD FOR
THOUGHT/LONG".  Mr. Sowe challenged members of Gambia-L to adopt a
school/institution in The Gambia, to help further develop education in
Gambia.  A lot of people on Gambia-L welcomed the idea and the discussion
that ensued after that lead to the creation of an Education Committee in
April 1997.  Later that month, a questionnaire survey conducted by Andrea
Klump identified the need for the establishment of an autonomous organization
to assist individuals and institutions at all levels of education in The
Gambia.  Following this survey, a sub-committee tasked with drafting the
Organization's constitution and activity plan was established in September
1997.  In January 1998, a draft was presented to the Education Committee and
later to the entire Gambia-L membership for endorsement and ratification.

The final document outlining the Organization's mission, objectives, by-laws
and activity plan was adopted.

In April 1998, a volunteer team tasked with overseeing the Organization and
membership registration and the election of an executive committee was born.
Since that time, the Transition Team has expanded and members have been
tirelessly working on creating a foundation for GESO.  The Transition Team
consists of the following individuals:

Malanding Jaiteh -  Strategic Planner
Moe S. Jallow - Computer Sub-Committee
Musa Jeng - Member responsible for Marketing and Membership Recruitment
Awa Sey - Administrative Assistant
Momodou Camara -Denmark Zone Coordinator
Amadou Kabir Njie -Norway Zone Coordinator
Bassirou Dodou Drammeh -Gambia Zone Coordinator
Ancha Bala-Gaye -Gambia Zone Coordinator
Jabou Joh -North America Zone Coordinator
Solomon Sylva - Member responsible for Marketing and Membership Recruitment
Bouharry Gassama - Member Responsible for Legal Matters
Abdou Oujimai Gibba - Member
Francis Njie - Member
Musa Sowe - Member

2. GESO TRANSITION TEAM UPDATE:

Since the Transition Team was established in April 1998, a number of
important objectives have been achieved:

a. Establishment of GESO Chapters:

GESO chapters have been established in Norway, Denmark, North America and The
Gambia.  Bank accounts have been opened in Norway, Denmark and The Gambia -
to ensure safe keeping of membership dues collected.

Registration of GESO North America have proven most difficult due to IRS
delays.  While little has been achieved in this area, the Team feels that
more effort and time should be spent to register GESO America as a
not-for-profit organization in the United States, as it is vital for the
efficient and legal functioning of GESO in the United States.

b. Computers For Schools

In 1998, GESO Denmark sent six used MAC computers to The Gambia for donation
to Sukuta Junior Secondary School.  Unfortunately, Sukuta Junior Secondary
was found to be without electricity.  Missing cables and the lack of
replacement parts in The Gambia, rendered some of the machines not useable.

From April 1998 to date, the Transition Team has been having regular
Executive Meetings.  At these meetings, the team collaborates on how to
accomplish our mission, present financial and membership updates, etc.  The
meetings also served as a vehicle in ensuring quality assurance in the
Organization's day-to-day activities -- it has been a nudge in helping us
carry the organization towards a direction of achieving the goals and
objectives of the GESO Mission Statement.

3.  GESO WEBSITE:

The GESO Website is up and running.  You may visit the site at:
http://home3.inet.tele.dk/mcamara/geso/.  Your input/suggestions are very
important.  Please tell us what you think!!!  Volunteers are also welcome to
help us develop a database of Gambian professionals abroad.

4.  REPORT FROM THE ZONES:

a.  Gambia:

In April 1999, Coordinators Ancha Bala-Gaye and Bassirou Dodou Drammeh opened
an account with the International Bank for Commerce (Gambia) Ltd., 11A
Liberation Avenue, P.O Box 211, Banjul The Gambia.  The funds used to open
this account were transferred from GESO Denmark.  Funds from others Zones
will eventually be transferred into this account.  We are in the process of
sponsoring needy students in Gambia. (we will keep you posted on those
developments as they occur).

b.  Denmark:

The account number for GESO Denmark can be found at the end of this report
(list of GESO Zone Coordinators).  Denmark's members are:

Momodou Camara.
Asbjørn Nordam
Kibily  Jadama
Matar M. Jeng
Momodou Sidibeh
Yusuph Jatta
Momodou B. Gassama
Bassirou D. Drammeh
Alieu Bah

c.  Norway:

The account number for GESO Norway can be found at the end of this report
(list of GESO Zone Coordinators).  Norway's members are:

Abdou Oujimai Gibba
A. Kabir Njie
Ba Musa Ceesay
Famara A. Sanyang
Saikou Samateh (Saiks)
Musa Njie

d.  United Kingdom:

Recruiting members from UK has been quite a challenge for us.  However, we
are pleased to inform you that 4 people recently expressed interest in
coordinating GESO activities in that region, and plans are underway to
recruit an Executive team from that Zone.

e.  North America (U.S.A):

We are in the process of opening a bank account in this Zone.  We will keep
you informed once we establish an account.  America's members are:

Anna Secka
Abdou Touray
Musa Sowe
Musa S.Jeng
Moe S. Jallow.
Michael B.B.J. Gomez
Liz Stewart Fatty
Ousman Gajigo
Mambuna Bojang
Jabou Joh
Sarian Loum
Awa Sey
Sailey Sey
Francis Njie
Webster Loum
Buba Bojang
Malanding S. Jaiteh

5.  PLANS FOR 1999/2000:

a.  Establish Executive Committees:

Our goal for this period is to nominate members to the Executive Committee
and an Advisory Committee.

b.  Sponsoring Students in Gambia:

At our last meeting (August 22, 1999 to August 29, 1999) the Team concluded
that we should work with Gambian schools and those interested in education in
Gambia, to assist GESO in identifying needy students.  We are currently
brainstorming on how to format the selection process.  Our major goal during
this process, is to make sure that the right candidates are chosen when these
scholarships are granted.  All voting members shall be members of the review
process (reviewing of applications: case histories, financial status, etc….)

c.  Fundraising:

GESO's fundraising team will come up with strategies on how to globally
market GESO; and development ways in which we can obtain education tools from
corporations, organizations, etc. (computers, books)

GESO's Transition Team shall brainstorm and generate ways of selling material
at Gambian gathering (T-shirts, hats,)

6.  SUMMARY:
The Transition Team is diligently working on achieving GESO's goals, as
outlined in our Mission Statement.

We hope you will join our team by becoming a member of GESO.

IF YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION ABOUT GESO; WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A DONATION OR
BECOME A MEMBER, PLEASE CONTACT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING GESO ZONE COORDINATORS
IN YOUR GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION:

GESO NORTH AMERICA:
c/o Ms. Jabou Joh
511 Laurel Park Drive
Nashville, Tennessee 37205
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
E-Mail Address:[log in to unmask]

GESO DENMARK:
c/o Mr. Momodou Camara
Charlotte Muncksvej 20.3th
DK-2400 Copenhagen NV
DENMARK
E-Mail Address: [log in to unmask]
GESO-Denmark Account
Reg.nr. 1199 Account Nr. 1-673-2109
BG Bank A/S
DK-0800 Høje Taastrup
Denmark

GESO NORWAY:
c/o A. Kabir Njie
Lofsrudhogda 13D
N-1281 OSLO
E-Mail Address:[log in to unmask]
GESO-Norway ACCOUNT. NR: 0819 2077541. Postbanken
c/o Amadou Kabir Njie
Lofsrudhøgda 13 D
1281 Oslo
Norway

GESO GAMBIA:
c/o Bassirou Dodou Drammeh
P.O Box 2152
Serrekunda, The Gambia
Emails:[log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]
Account NR. 09538 112 103 05069
International Bank for Commerce (Gambia) Ltd
Bakau Branch,
11a Liberation Avenue,
P.O Box 211,
Banjul The Gambia,
West Africa

Thank you for taking the time to read our report.

Sincerely,

Awa Sey, Administrative Secretary
(For GESO Transition Team)