GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 21:36:04 EST
Well, Modou Sidibeh, l don't know if this has any bearing on the Y2K topic,
but l have had problems making calls to Gambia. On Jan 1 and the day before,
l tried calling two diferent numbers, and the ring to the telephone is very
unusual an loud, almost like a bad P.A system. When the parties l called
picked up, they could hear me, but all l could hear from them were garbled
noises. l tries both numbers three different times, with the same result. l
don't know if anyone else has experienced this or not.

Jabou

Mr. Saidy,

 Thank you for the Press Release. But I have a problem!
 For days now (since January 1 precisely), I've tried to telephone home to
 Lameng, Bakau, Kartong, and Serre-Kunda but without success.

 The prepaid calling card connection does not work and I have also tried the
 Swedish International switchboard. All to no avail. The operator told me Y2K
 related problems in Gambia are to blame. He also assured me that many
 Gambians have also called them to enquire.

 Now, unless I am the only guy marooned in Kiruna, I am asking for clues as
 to what is going on. Can anyone tell me? Have some of you in Sweden been
 able to telephone home recently?

 Sorry for bothering you.

 Sidibeh.