GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 15:22:05 PST
Saul,

I believe that this is a good suggestion and i will second it. I believe that
the Independent will need our support. This is not only about the independent
but the future of the press and their role in our society.

As far as the government is suppressing information, they should also be
prepared for these kinds of  reactions.

The Struggle Continues!!!
Ndey Jobarteh

saul khan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
All,

I just want to clarify the reason behind my appeal to this List to help the
Independent newspaper fend off the frivolous law suit Yaya Jammeh is
throwing at them. This, because someone has already mis-interpreted my
motives for doing so. So, maybe I wasn't clear in my orignal note.

Bill Clinton makes over $300K/yr as president of the US. Yet, when he got in
legal trouble, some of his supporters organized and solicited donations from
Americans to help Clinton defray the cost of fighting the law suit. Tens of
thousands of people (many who make a mere fraction of what he does,) donated
whatever they could afford. And many who donated their money were not
defending what Clinton did. They were defending the principle that the law
must not be used/abused by anyone/group as a political tool. Yaya Jammeh's
sole objective in suing the Independent is to silence them - a political
objective!

So, my appeal on behalf of the Independent journalists -NOT AT THEIR BEHEST,
runs in the same vein. It's a mere appeal for Gambians who care for what
this group is doing, to show their solidarity. You don't have to agree with
the reason/need for the article they've written. But, if you care for the
principle of PRESS FREEDOM, then you need to stand by these people. Useless
or not, they have a right to inform Gambians about what's going on - as
trivial as that may be to you. At the very least, you should register your
protest to president Jammeh on this medium. Those who can afford to go an
extra mile, should do so.

Finally, I did not mean to imply that they have a monopoly on gallantry,
fairness, or independence when it comes to the press in the Gambia. I'm
aware of the constant harrassment this group has been suffering at the hands
of Yaya Jammeh's goons since they courageous left The Observer newspaper
en-masse. My use of the word "gallant" and "independence" is a reflection of
my insight into their suffering. Nothing else. So, if we can make our
displeasure known to Yaya on this forum, I'll consider my appeal fruitful.

Saul.