GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:23:19 EST
While I have found this forum very informative, I refuse to stand by while
racism is condoned.  The thing that makes it much more insulting is the fact
that this is an African mailing list. I consider myself much more traveled in
the US than all the people that have chosen to either condone or commend Mr.
S. Khan's article.  In my opinion, Mr. S. Khan is a coward and a social
misfit whose experiences in America have shaped his thoughts. And as far as I
am concerned, if one walks around with the cowardly and racist mentality that
there are animals in black skin preying on the weak, then that person will be
preyed upon by those he fears.  That kind of behavior is to be expected of
old white women.

Having been the consummate traveler and having met and tried to better
understand people of different races, social and economic classes and having
been a victim of the Nigger word myself, I hereby withdraw from this mailing
list in protest.  Hopefully, my protest will be etched in the conscience of
those that really understand about racism, human decency, discrimination,
tribalism  and the struggle that we, as a people, have collectively gone
through to defeat the ugly specter of racism.  The articles of the many great
writers on this forum will be missed but the flawed and idiotic logic of Mr.
Khan will not be missed by me.

I extend my best wishes to everyone in the spirit of the holidays and happy
Ramadan to all my Muslim brothers and sisters.

Respectfully,
Yusupha