GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 13:37:44 -0000
Hamjatta,

I have received your last communication upon by arrival.

Frankly speaking, I am enjoying the whole exercise. I consider myself a
public figure. I have no right to accept being put up as a candidate to
represent people if I cannot accept public scrutiny. It is my view that we
are in fact doing too little to scrutinize those who opt to represent us. As
you can see, I have never protested against the languages that are directed
at me even though I could have resorted to the cover of age, gradation and
so on to try to impress on all of you the need to change your language. I am
taking everything in good faith. I only hope that none of you will be
offended by my utilisation of not so gentle a language to dismiss your
allegations.

Let us hope that through these interactions all of us will be humble to
understand that what we say should be characterised by truth, good faith and
the public interest.

I will now proceed to deal with the views expressed by Saul Saidykhan who
wrote earlier on to buttress what Cherno Baba had said and then added new
comments after you wrote. I will come back to you later.

Halifa Sallah