GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 20:35:30 EST
Awa/ Ndey,
                  your prognosis about women in our society is precise and
thoroughly reflects the burden that hobbles women . I agree that there is a
gradual shift toward a greater aprreciation of the woman and most importantly
they are increasingly breaking free from the societal fix that binds them to
the very untenable position of being  unhealthily dependents on others for
their basic of needs. The overwhelming number of women endure tremnedous
hardship as they try to meet the rigors of life . I hope we one day have a
wholesale attitudinal change and begin to restructure our society and do the
right thing by our women. A good start would be a clear  recognition that our
traditions as has been configured gives women the short end of the stick .
Consequently i believe our society is much worse for it. It has inadvertently
conditioned some  of us men to demand any and all we believe our women owe us
giving little or no regard what their reciprocal needs are. We have become
very crafty at maintaining the imbalance of privilege. We hide behind
tradition and religion and whatever lever works for a moment to advance the
need of the time. I think the never-ending rationalization for the way we
treat our women is nothing but a sorry excuse for bad behavior

Karamba