C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Hyatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 18:52:14 -0800
"Michael H. Collis" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

David, A good place to begin would be the yellow pages... look up
wheelchairs and see how many companies there are that sell wheelchairs,
medical equipment, and other types of equipment. The companies that
sell the equipment sometimes have other companies associated that sell
driving aids for PWD's
David Wolfe wrote:

> I have a very specific request, and hope some of you may be able to help
> me. I am a 17 year old teenager and now have the monetary resources to be
> able to drive. But due to the fact that I have CP, I need to think about hand
> gears (since I cannot use my feet to drive) My hands are okay, and have no
> problems. Obviously I need to solve this problem before I can even think
> about getting a car. I have heard there are auxiliary hand gears out there
> (by auxiliary, I mean gears that can switch on and off as needed, so that my
> parents can drive the car too) which would save time and effort. It would
> also save me having to go out and buy a car to have it configured only for
> me, which would prevent anybody else from driving it. I was just curious as
> to if you readers knew of auxiliary hand gear set, and if so where I might
> find one. If locality is an issue, I live in the SF Bay Area. I don't even
> know where to begin this process, so thanks for all your help.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> David Wolfe

David:

When you say "Hand Gears", are you talking about hand controls?  Hand controls are pretty standard but if you are talking about a system of hand controls for a clutch those are more difficult.  With regular hand controls you would need an automatic transmission and people can still drive the car the normal way with their feet.  If you haven't already you might want to contact the local department of vocational rehabilitation for your state.  They paid for my controls and driving lessons as part of my rehab plan.

Bill Hyatt
"The shortest distance between two points is.....
 usually not accessible"