BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Larrey Riddle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "CAUTION: Learning Lurkers Hanging"
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:48:56 -0500
Dan,  The wardrobe sounds like a thing of beauty.  I love tung oil and used
it on a number of pieces when I worked in a furniture shop many years ago.
Specific brands of Tung Oil do not matter as long as it has no waxes or
other ingrediants included.  Although, I'm told that many of these products
produce very nice finishes.  While Min-Wax does sell pure tung oil, as do
most other manufacturers, they have some products that are tung oil mixes
with any number of other things.

The process we used in this shop was to sand down to 180 grit and then apply
three coats of tung oil.  After each coat we hand rubbed it in by hand.  The
heat friction of rubbing it in, the theory went, let the oil absorb into the
wood much more efficiently. It does create a stunning finish, but you wear
several layers of skin off in the process.  In fact, with one particular
cherry wood pencil post bed, I seem to remember that the time between coats
was directly related to how severe the blisters were.

On some pieces we then took it into the spray booth and put a laquer finish
on it.  But, I always prefered a simple wax coat that could be well
buffed.------Original Message------