VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Jean McKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 09:55:39 -0500
David Chittenden wrote:

> So, let me get this straight, Mark Senk is NOT an owner of this list?  The
> scolding which he sent me a few weeks ago lead me to believe that he was a
> list owner.  If he is not a list owner, then what he is doing is
> completely improper and I wish I had kept the scolding to repost it to the
> list.  His scolding did make me much more circumspect about what messages
> I post and whether to even post them.  In fact, it has made me very
> hesitant to post to the list since it is not my desire to be removed from
> the list.
>
> Mark, if you send me another scolding which makes you appear to be a list
> owner, and you are actually not, I will forward the message to the list.
>
> David Chittenden, Western U.S. Manager
> Technologies for the Visually Impaired, Inc.
> 5455 Geary Blvd, suite 161
> San Francisco, CA 94121
> (415) 902-3462
> fax and voice mail (888) 269-9233
> email [log in to unmask]
> http://www.tvi-web.com
> certified window bridge distributor
>
> On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, istar wrote:
>
> > Everyone agrees our little Mark Senk inspired flame needs dousing. But,
> > there's an important point to be made. A private scolding like Mark's to me,
> > made as it is in the name of the list owners, can be very intimidating,
> > particularly to those new to a group. The planet is awash in authoritarian
> > twits but blindness seems to have a disproportionate number of them. So,
> > sensibilities may be a little rawer here.
> >
> > For some of us, discussing PDFs could hardly be a more relevant thread. Were
> > Liz, whose expertise is valuable,  a newly she might well have been
> > discouraged by the private scold and quit the list. That would be a
> > considerable loss for many of us.
> >
> > Twits who scold privately can do real damage. So, it's NOT 'Bad, bad, Mark",
> > it's DAMAGING Mark who injures my interest and I insist on the right to make
> > that point absolutely clear.
> >
> > That's all from me on this flame.
> >
> > Bill Carroll, Toronto

Since I have been out of town I am just now wading through my old
e-mail.  David Chittenden still does not have this "straight!"  Mark
Senk is indeed a list owner, and made very proper comments concerning
the purposes and uses of this list.  The extremely high quality of the
imformation exchanged here is maintained because the list owners, like
Mark Senk, do keep a watch on what is posted.  If comments made by Mr.
Senk have made Mr. Chittenden more "circumspect" or caused him to
question a message he might post that is good!
From his signature block, it appears that David Chittenden is a
salesman.  He wants on this list for profit!  People read this list to
obtain imput from other users.  Advertisements are available directly
from companies.  Personally, I am not sure that I think a list of this
nature is the place for a company representitive at all!  If they are
here, they should be kept within the quidelines of the list.
I am grateful to Mark Senk and the other list owners who are
sufficiently interested and caring to spend the time to safeguard the
quality of this list.  Many thanks from all of us who value the accurate
and appropiate imformation this list provides.  I am glad there are
people like Mark Senk who have the courage of their convictions in
private as well as in public.  Keep up the good work!
Mary Jean McKinnon