VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Pasco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 10:31:04 +0800
For those wishing to dabble with Windows,  but hesitant to use the total
emersion method, there is a good primer.  It is called the DOS Shell, and
shipped with DOS 5.  It also works fine running over DOS 6.22 and DOS 7
which is the version of DOS running under Windows 95.

The DOS 5 shell is a quasi graphical interface but works fine with a DOS
screen reader that can follow highlights.  I found using it that my move to
first Windows 3.1 and then Windows 95 was much smoother, be cause the basic
concepts of screen layout, screens devided into windows, and moving
highlights are all there.  It also works with drop down menus, but has
keyboard shortcuts much like Win 95.  Some of the keystrokes are even the
same.  Microsoft was clearly softening up the market for its eventual move
to pure graphics. The biggest advantage to learning in this way, is you can
still use DOS based apps and the DOS screen reader so much is still
familiar.  Besides, if you have to buy a Windows screen reader out of your
own pocket, it is really pricey.  JFW is $795.

I am totally converted to Win 95 now, but I still have use for the archaic
DOS command lines.  In fact, DOS 7 has some batch file features, and
command line switches not in Dos 6.22.  Batch files particularly are still
useful under Win 95.

Bill Pasco