VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 18:35:29 -0600
On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Pat Hemmer wrote:

Pat: Gee I'm sorry I'm not blind.  Have you done a survey?  Do I belong on this
Pat: list?

Hello Pat.  This list is for anyone committed to expanding access and
resources to computers and information in local communities for people
with visual impairments and print handicap's.

Pat: Seriously there must be other people on this list that are sighted.  I'm
Pat: researching on behalf of my 40 year old son who is quadriplegic, can't speak
Pat: and extremely visually impaired.

You raise a good point that many people with visual impairments have other
disabilities as well.  When considering needs and technology, we must
consider the whole person of course, not the disability removed from the
person.  remember that one person's opinion may not be representative of
the more than 200 persons on this list.

Your son reminds me of margaret Fromer who died a few weeks ago.  She was
a quad as well, living with polio.  She was a radical, pushing me and
others to consider new ideas and approach things in completely different
ways.  She received the first puff and sip wheelchair.  she encouraged the
development of it at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago in the early
1960s and help design the first prototype.  she provided numerous ideas
and suggestions to the engineers.  later, she founded the technical Aids
and Assistance for the Disabled Center.  the TAAD Center is a
demonstration and training center for people with physical disabilities.
It is still running on the west side of Chicago.

I hope you continue to find the resources useful.  If you missed the
article on Officer Mullen a few months back, check it out in the archives.
Officer Mullen was left a quad when he responded to a call of shots fired.
When he arrived at the suspected apartment, the occupant opened the door
and fired one shot.  Jim Mullen has an ongoing project of refurbishing
computers and making them available to other quads like himself.  he is
bringing greater independent to dozens of Chicagoans.

kelly

Index of Vicugs	http://trfn.clpgh.org/vipace/vicug/vicugs.html