From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:28:00 -0500
I have found one LS120 will always allow the use of one "real floppy drive"
along with it.  The drive letters "you see" are a complex subject...
(Remember, DOS rules only allow two floppy drives of "any" type.)

LS-120s are a special type of equipment that shows up very differently
in different machines. You "must" have good instructions from the manufacturer
of the drive.
SOME functions are TOTALLY different depending on the Version (or
revision) of your Operating system.  (Win95a, Win95b, etc.)
Those will treat an LS120 almost totally oppositely and Win95a requires
installation of drivers, and the other _requires_NOT_installing_ the same drivers.
I am not familiar with what Win98 +  does, but things "were" getting much
easier and more "normal" as they became more widely used and the technology
matured...

Depending on your BIOS, you may or not have "full support" (such as
booting from it...) Do the following only if you are comfortable "digging around"
in your BIOS/CMOS.  Look in your BIOS for a "Startup or Boot sequence" setting.
This is NOT necessary, but if you can change it to boot first from the LS120
you have BIOS support.  To use it with "all" its functions, you also need
Operating System support. That started in Win95B.

LS120s will show up in a variety of ways in Explorer depending on all of the above.
The possible drive letter you may see is too "hardware system" and OS dependant
to try to list all the combinations here, (or anywhere...)
One warning though... As when working with (or adding) "any" type of drive(s),
if you see duplicate drives with the same contents (with different drive letters -- also
known as "phantom drives"), you more than likely have a unsupported configuration
that is hazardous to your data...  (This should be resolved quickly.)

If your BIOS is fairly new, and your OS is Win95b or above, the unit should do
everything it says on the box...
There are also some "do not do this" type of rules depending on all the above too.
They involve whether or not the OS realizes the floppy is 120m or not while
doing "old" mundane chores such as "format", "disk copy", and such...
There are so many ways this could "shake out" that a definitive answer is almost
impossible without fiddling with "your system" in person...
I have found the drives (while slow compared to a hard drive) reliable.

               Hope this helps.        Rick

> In a message dated 3/22/2000 12:42:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
> << Thanks for your reply. So am I correct in saying that the LS120 replaces
> the floppy and it's not possible to use both?

> I built a PII 233 a couple years back and when I installed an LS120 I had to
> get a bios update first.  After the update, the LS120 was recognized.  I set
> it as drive B: and still kept my floppy as drive A:   Perhaps a bios update
> is all you may need.  I didn't need to disable a thing in bios on mine.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org