From:
Francisco Novo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 09:14:28 GMT-6
Dear list members:

Thanks to a very well aimed posting of one of the list members,
my CD-ROM Drive is back again and the MS-DOS compatibility
mode is no longer affecting the overall performance of the system.

The solution provided by Mr. Raymond Hornung, suggested a
dive into Windows Registry, a search for "NOIDE" and a change in
its content from what he expected (and really was) to be "01" to "00."

Nothing else!  After reboot, almost everything returned to normal
operation.  Almost, because Window's PnP feature keeps re-insatalling
a "Crative Labs IDE Controller" with a "!" under Hard Disk Controllers,
as can be seen in the Device Manager.  However, this conflict seems not
to "hurt" the rest of the installed drivers or the general performance.

Double clicking the conflicting controller shows the usual message
saying that "This Device is causing a resource conflict."  Opening the
Resources Tab shows the drive is trying to use IRQ 10, the same used
as described in the Conflicting Device List by:
Interrupt request 10 used by:
   IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
Interrupt 10 used by:
   IntelExpress PRO 10/100+ PCI Adapter

If I try to change the settings of the CD-ROM Drive, it simply says
that: "This resource settings cannot be modified."     :-(

I still wonder, as I have written before, because this was not an original
conflict.  It came up suddenly when no soft or hardware changes were
made and makes me think that something, deep in the hardware, has
changed, although not a simple as a mist connection or something alike,
as I have done all those checkings.

Anyway, my main problem is over now, and I would like to thanks
Kyle Elmblade, Lawrence Gurley and Rick Glazier for their valuable
tips, and a big THANKS to Raymond Hornung for his precise shot!

Gratefully:

Frank.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html