From:
Lawrence Gurley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 00:22:01 -0800
On the other hand . . .

when Performance reported that A:\ and C:\ were runing in DOS compatibility
mode, "Details"  (Windows Help) reported that this was probably due to a
driver in config.sys that Win95 did not recognize.  I REM'd the one driver
in config.sys, and rebooted (the boot process now took 20 minutes) and the
"DOS compatibility mode" message is gone.  My computer now appears to be
responding normally.  My hope (desperate wish) is that the next boot will
be at normal speed.

Larry Gurley

At 10:25 PM 03/14/2000 -0800, Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask] wrote:
>By all appearances (and listers please confirm) it sounds like your
>motherboard may be getting a little senile.  You have all the indications of
>an IDE controller failure.  It's possible (and hopefully true) that it could
>be a bad cable or possibly even a voltage problem with the power supply.
>The only way to really tell is to rebuild the system on a different
>motherboard and see if the problem goes away.  Not a very happy prospect.
>
>Kyle

Lawrence T. Gurley