From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 19:12:33 +1100
From: Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 1999 5:56 AM

> On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Ben Balzer wrote:
>
> > Paleo is of course high in W3 low in W6- just another example of
> > paleoperfection in action.
>
> This ain't necessarily so.  It is quite possible to implement a
> paleo diet with a low w3:w6 ratio.
>
> > Grain fed meat is high in fats and has a low W3/W6  ratio
>
> Actually the latter claim is false.  Commercial grain-fed beef
> has a 1:2 ratio of w3 to w6 fats, which is not considered low at
> all.
Hmmm, I got that little pearl off this list- I suppose it goes to show that
it's about time we started a real FAQ page somewhere. As it happens, I've
just started reading Artemis Simopoulos' Omega Diet. On page 41 is a diagram
showing the relative contribution of Saturated, Monounsaturated Linoleic
LA(W6 polyunsaturated) and Alpha Linolenic LNA(W3 polyunsaturated). Now
going by eye on the diagram beef has about 5% total LA+LNA which is to say
that it's a pretty poor source of both of them. I would be interested in
reading any references on the effect of grain feeding on beef quality as
it's a common topic of conversation. I previously stumbled across the
farmers reference about grain fed beef being low in Vitamin E and going
rancid easily and so the cows get a Vitamin E supplement- that link is gone
now.

Ben Balzer
"The ideal diet for any animal is that which it eats in the wild. Humans are
no exception."