Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 07:32:44 -0800
> Quoth Todd Moody"
>
>On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Ben Balzer wrote:
>
>> I think the increase in lean fat from 5 to 22% is ample evidence that their
>> systems cannot handle grain protein. They probably have little of it in
>> their tissues but the metabolic effect is the same as for humans- disaster!
>> and fat deposition.
>
>It's my guess that this increase in fat is due to the sugars in
>the grain, which are considerable, rather than the protein.  This
>is why grains work so well for making beer and whiskey.

Not quite. The grains used in brewing and liquor distillation are
first malted, i.e. sprouted to convert starch to sugars, then
killed by heating, then incorporated into the brewing/mash
processes. These days a synthetic enzymatic process may also
be used but I am hazy on the details of modern techniques.

Needless to say all this processing makes beer & liquor
non Paleo in he extreme. And no I don't care to chew on
some hypothetical availability of fermentation alcohol
to Cave Man. I will opine that just because genes exist
for the liver enzyme system to detox ethanol does not
justify habitual use thereof, nor the assumption that all
genotypes are tolerant of the Western booze-soaked lifestyle.

BTW there is an interesting article in a late issue of
New Scientist about the "epidemic" of diabetes amongst
the Pima Indians -- another classic case of a genotype
incompatible with a high-carb junkfood western diet.