From:
lisa blackburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 16:56:44 GMT
>Frye, Cynthia wrote:

>  I'm not familiar with PCOS, what does it involve?

It's a "rare disorder" that involves hormonal imbalance and insulin
resistance. The symptoms include: infertility; male pattern hair loss and
growth; acne; depression; skin discoloration; hypoglycemia, obesity, etc...
Women with PCOS have a far greater risk of diabetes and heart disease.

I'm taking various medications to help with these symptoms, but my biggest
challenge is losing weight. When I started with insulin sensitizing
medication, I lost about 35 pounds. Unfortunately, I still have about 25 to
lose, and it's not going anywhere. I can't tolerate the low-fat, low-cal
approach. In fact, I gained most of my weight while dieting. Low-carbing
seems to help with day-to-day living, but I'm still not losing weight.