From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 08:19:03 -0700
Hi Amadeus,

Thank you for the Rose Hip Tea Recipe. I will make some today for me mum.

By the way, I found an article called Homocysteine and Your Heart. I found
it interesting because it mentioned that Dilantin, the anticonvulsive drug,
causes strokes. This is the drug that caused my mother's stroke.

It is becoming increasingly apparent that a high blood level of
homocysteine is a potent risk factor for heart disease. The normal level is
about 10-12mmol/L. Extensive research has shown that heart disease and
stroke patients often have levels that are 50  to 100 per cent higher
(15-21 mmol/L). Patients with intermittent claudication, hypothyroidism,
lupus erythematosus, psoriasis or venous thrombosis also tend to have
higher levels. Homocysteine levels increase with age and are usually higher
in men. High homocysteine levels are believed to be caused by low levels of
folic acid and vitamin B12 but can also be induced by renal disease and
certain medications like methotrexate, levodopa, niacin or phenytoin
(Dilantin).

High homocysteine levels can be normalized by supplementation with vitamins
B6, B12 and folic acid. Clinical trials have shown that intramuscular
injections of 1 mg folic acid, 1.1 mg vitamin B12 and 5 mg vitamin B6 are
effective in normalizing homocysteine levels in older patients.

Geriatrics, April 1999

The disorders mentioned are common in persons with celiac disease or gluten
intolerance:

http://www.celiac.com/similar.html

All the best,
Susan