Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 23:16:39 -0700
> On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Anna L. Abrante wrote:
>
> Actually, McDonald's now uses vegetable oil for cooking fries,
> and I believe the "milk shakes" are themselves concocted from
> soybean oil and various dairy by-products, with various vegetable
> thickeners, etc.

I had been browsing earlier at McDonald's site, hoping to
find something remotely paleo on the road, and found:
Shake Mix: Whole milk, sucrose, nonfat milk solids,
corn syrup solids, cream, guar gum, sodium
hexametaphosphate, carrageenan, imitation vanilla
flavor, cellulose gum.

Chocolate Flavored Shake Syrup: High fructose corn
syrup, water, corn syrup, invert sugar, dutch processed
and natural cocoa, caramel color, salt, potassium
sorbate as a preservative, polyglycerol esters or fatty
acids, artificial flavor, xanthan gum, ethyl vanillin,
artificial color (red #40).

Strawberry Flavored Shake Syrup: High fructose corn
syrup, corn syrup, water, invert sugar, strawberry
juice concentrate, citric acid, sodium benzoate as a
preservative, propylene glycol, artificial color (FD&C
red 40, FD&C yellow 6, FD&C blue 1), artificial flavor.

Vanilla Flavored Shake Syrup: High fructose corn syrup,
water, corn syrup, sugar, natural and artificial
flavor, caramel color, propylene glycol, tartaric or
citric acid, sodium benzoate (preservative), vanillin.

...so unless Ronald McDonald has very recently changed
his recipe, there is no soya derivative in the shakes,
unless it's hidden in the polyglycerol esters or fatty
acids. I suppose nonfat milk solids might be considered
a by-product, though it's not like casein or whey,
which definitely are high-tech, nonpaleo derivatives.

Needless to say, McDonald's "milk" shakes are nonpaleo
in the extreme. OTOH one can apparently eat the burgers'
vaunted 100% beef patty if one can only scrape off
most of the mystery sauce, ketchup etc. and toss
the bun to the crows.

BTW as I have recently retired from engaging in a pointless
hypothetical discussion about bambi-cheese (no doubt
drearily boring to everybody on this forum), let me atone
by offering my recipe for Paleobars III. The first two
were inedible and so-so, respectively, but this one works:

    PALEOBARS III

    Tools needed: food processor, bowl, spoon, muffin tins,
    freezer, food dehydrator or warm oven.

4   Large Bananas*, peeled
10  Large sticky dates, pitted. I use Black Sphinx from
    Arizona Date Gardens in Phoenix, AZ USA
7   Large Medjool dates, pitted
1/2 Small Lemon, juice only from
2   Medium Apples, cored & diced (I used Fuji)
3   C Coconut, dried, unsweetened, medium shred
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (omit if strict Paleo)
1/2 tsp. sea salt, optional
1/2 tsp Vitamin C as ascorbic acid (omit if strict Paleo)

Whip the whole mess up in a food processor till smooth,
pour into the bowl and then fold in:

1   C Almonds, shelled, roasted slightly
1   C (scant) Hazelnuts/Filberts, shelled, roasted slightly
1/2 C Pistachio meats, dry roasted
1/4 C Pumpkin seeds, hulled, roasted slightly

Whole nuts are great for texture & crunchability, but I suppose
chopped would do fine as well.

Coat muffin tins with coconut oil and spoon in the batter-like
mixure till about 3/4 full. Freeze the filled tins, then
pop out the frozen slugs and place gently on the rack of a
food dehydrator. Dry for 24 hours at the "Fruit" setting,
maybe 145 deg. F, then let cool. Store in tins and try not
to eat all at once. Drink lots of water after eating.

Makes about 18 tough little chewy biscuit-like cakes.

* If allergic or sensitive to latex, one might omit the
  bananas & substitute some other sweet, sticky fruit.

  If you have nut problems then this recipe is not for you.

** Sorry about the old English units for measures etc.;
adopting the metric system has failed utterly in the
popular culture of the USA.

Enjoy,
alexs