CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tresy Kilbourne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 08:30:21 -0800
on 12/14/99 8:16 PM, Andrej Grubacic at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hospital Banjica, and elementary school in Zemun, as far as Belgrade is
> concerned. I am an eye-wittnes, it is infront of my building.
> As far as Serbia is concerned, "colateral demage" is much worse.
> Tracy, forgive me for asking you this, but are you perfectly sane?
> Andrej

Oh, quite. You see, Andrej, where I come from serious allegations require
documentation. This is inconvenient for revisionists like you, for whom
conclusions come first, factual support, much later, if at all.

I ran Bajnica and Zemun through the New York Times archive, and then, when
no relevant hits appeared (not to your surprise, I'm sure), through the
Internet. The best support for you comes in the indictment drawn up by
lickspittles for Slobo and submitted to the International War crimes
Tribunal (see http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/icty.htm). We can therefore presume
that these allegations are cast in the light most favorable to Slobo and the
FRY. (Sample of the legal rhetoric, and the complainants' selective
compassion for the Kosovar Albanians: "Particularly tragic is the fate of
refugees, who convinced that they should not believe the propaganda ploys on
the alleged 'ethnic cleansing' [Ed: note the priceless sarcastic quotes]
decided to return to their homes. Legitimate authorities of the FRY
encourage them every day to do so and guarantee their safety. On the
occasion of a return of a large group of refugees, on 14 April, on the
Djakovica-Prizren road, NATO aircraft killed 75 citizens of the FRY and
wounded 111." What bleeding hearts.)

That being the case, and further assuming the allegations are true, there is
NO assertion that the hospital or school were targets, nor any claim that
anyone was injured, let alone killed. The only reference to Zemun is an
attack on the water supply. I think we can assume if the school damage were
significant, it would be on the rather exhaustive list, don't you? 190
schools are listed as damaged, but curiously, no deaths or injuries are
mentioned. I think if NATO were deliberately targeting schools and
hospitals, they would be rather more than "damaged," don't you?

But it's clear that in your moral computer, inadvertent damage to hospitals
and schools by NATO is a heinous war crime, while your country's systematic
cleansing of non-Serbs in Kosovo and elsewhere is not even innocent; it's a
fiction. Excuse me while I barf. I repeat my earlier statement that I
frankly would not mind seeing the complaints of your Fearless Leader's fan
club actually litigated in the Hague, because it would have the healthy
effect of settling the question of their legality in favor of NATO.

--
Tresy Kilbourne
Seattle WA