CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bergesons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 23:39:43 -0500

> Could you elaborate on what you mean by "this"?

I was referring to how conventional mainstream economic indicators (of GDP,
"growth," profits, etc.) tend to totally neglect social, environmental, or
health costs.  Indeed, most of what rational people would include in their
assessment of the health of a society, anything that has to do with human
beings as distinct entities outside of their wages and investments, are
elements that are not measured by the media, let alone economic planners.  I
thought that was what you were referring to.

I actually have another question about the exact chronology of the events
last Tuesday.  My understanding has generally been that the main droog
activity took place during the immediate aftermath of the eruption of police
violence against the non-violent demonstrations on Pike and at other
locations around the convention center-- that the vandals took advantage of
the chaos created by tear gas, rubber bullets, and assault to attack other
parts of the downtown area.  Many of the accounts I read in the Times or
hear on the news make it sound like the police crackdown was only a response
to the "violence."  YOur thoughts or observations?

Soren