C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anee Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:22:21 EDT
Hi-

I just wanted to sate my agreement with Kyle.  Last year I went to an OB/GYN
and you know how the nurse dose your blood pressure and stuff before you see
the doc, and takes your history.  Well she asked about existing medical
conditions and I told her that I have cerebral palsy.  She actually said
"what's that?", she had no idea what CP was so I explained to her.  I was a
little shocked...especialy since she was a crear nurse and had worked in the
profession for about 15 to 20 years.  And it's not like CP just disappers
when you become a teen or adult or something...which is what I think that
some in the healthcare world think.

And you don't know how many doctors that I have been to and I try to talk to
them about CP.  Orthos, Nuros--you know the ones who are spose to be
experts...I have never met one that knew more about CP then I did...and I
have never met one that can discuss basic things about CP beyhond what they
discuss with parents...especially as I have gotten older.  I start talking
and I am over there heads as far as CP goes in about 1.5 minutes.  I start
talking and it's like I am having to educate them on all the intriceses of
CP, which dosn't really help me.  Now they know the basics...like what is
CP...and most know about the surgries and the drugs for spastic CP...but you
get much byond that and even the "speciallist" --in my experiecne--can't
answer some questions.  Most of them have never heard of Fredrikas method--at
least the last time I asked 2 years ago.  I have come to think that there are
no such "experts" when it comes to CP because CP is so varied--at least I
have not met one in the medical profession.  So be careful when you call some
one an expert.  You may be putting them on to high a pedastool. Just because
the doctor says something dosn't mean you need/have to do it.

Anee

In a message dated 9/17/1999 7:57:35 AM Central Daylight Time,