BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "BullaPinmankaheaders"
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:05:57 -0500

Everything that you see in the interior photos is new.  Actually, photo
number 5 <http://www.exploris.org/visit/exploris_in_pictures/>, an exterior
view, shows an existing building (contributing to the historic district)
that was incorporated into the complex.  The new and the old knit together
in this image.  The left side of the existing building, one story painted
white, where you can see roof, is now the exhibits construction shop and
storage.  The right side has had the roofing removed, but the steel roof
trusses remain, to create the outdoors West Courtyard, which now has water
features and outdoor sculpture.  A set of stairs connect this courtyard with
the new "black box" Many Voices exhibit space (actually the white cube in
the upper right hand corner), which hovers over the top of the rear half of
the existing building.  This cube is really cool at night.  What you see as
white in the construction photo is the reflective face of the box, over
which has been placed a steel framework holding perforated steel sandwich
panels about three feet square that contains in the sandwich colored
marbles.  These panels are suspended about two feet from the white face of
the box and the cavity is illuminated at night.  The whole thing glows to
display an almost Impressionistic painting-like image of the curve of the
earth's surface as viewed from the space shuttle.

You can find floor plans at <http://www.exploris.org/visit/> that may help
you put this together.  Kind of hard to do in word pictures.
Dan Becker,  Executive Director      "Conformists die, but
Raleigh Historic                              heretics live on forever"
Districts Commission                             -- Elbert Hubbard