VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Jim Fettgather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:51:06 -0700
This is a reminder that the Real-eyes Computer Users Group will meet on
Tuesday, October 12 at 5:00 PM at 2801 Wyandotte, Center for Blindness and
Low Vision, Third Floor, Dining Room C.

Agenda:
Last month's winners concerning the computer trivia challenge dealing with
the origin of the graphical user interface will be receiving their prizes.

We have three individuals who have correctly answered trivia questions and
who will receive a CD rom  with great shareware and freeware programs: Ruby
Polk, Steve Clark, and Mitchell Lynn, although I've never actually seen
Mitch Lynn in person, and am not totally convinced that he ixists in real
life, I suspect that he might be a micro chip inside my PC, or perhaps may
have been installed as part of an upgrade to the operating system!

Free Tapes:
As always, tapes will be distributed, and this time, thanks to MBSFM's
Blindline and Jonathan Mosen, you'll be able to hear an in-depth interview
with Arkenstone's President Jim Fruchterman who will discuss his company,
reading systems, and the future of OCR technology.

Computer Joke of the Month:
If you are as disgusted and offended by this
joke as I was, then you've got a great sense of humor!

Computer Trivia:
Yet another chance to win a CD, another chance to be the
first to answer the latest computer trivia challenge and win!
Or better yet, guess incorrectly and be humiliated and chastized by your
family and friends!

Computer News"
How will the pending merger of the two telecommunications
giants affect our phone rates and prices we pay for Internet access?

Featured Events:

There is yet another great e-mail and voice-mail service, but this one has
a new twist.  It allows you to make a free long distance call every time
you call in.
It is called Mytalk, and of course is free.
I'll show you how it works and help get you signed up if you like.

Special Feature:

We know that you can talk for free over the Internet, PC to PC.  But how
about talking for free over the Net phone to phone?
Special guest, computer enthusiast Jose Lopez from a company called Maxcom
INC. will be in attendance and will demonstrate how this company offers a
flat rate long distance service for as low as $25 per month.  Calls are
routed over the Internet, and although not always perfect, the price is right.
We will be placing a call to a member of the Visually Impaired Pittsburgh
Area Computer Enthusiasts, Doug Hunsinger, who will tell us about his
group, and field questions from everyone in attendance.

You won't want to miss this meeting, so hope to see you there!

Jim in KC
Real-Eyes Computer Users Group
http://www.real-eyes.org