VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
The Coe Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:05:07 -0800
Hi,

One may want to visit the ACB web page at www.acb.org  and take a look at
the February 1999 issue of the,Braille Forum, article on "Whose Philosphy
is it Anyway" for an opinion on where the NFB is coming from.

CharlieAt 03:32 AM 2/24/1999 -0800, you wrote:
> [...]
>>of the shopping site are decidedly not good web design for accessibility.
>>I think it only right to raise that issue as well.  I have long promoted
>>positive web sites and worked to correct negative.  You may not agree with
>>my strategies and I may not agree with yours.  I have had successes and
>>failures, just as I'm sure you have had in your efforts.  I must say that
>>my successes have far outnumbered the negatives and I feel it appropriate
>>to promote the positive and note the negative.  I plan to continue to do
>>both.  My initial inquiries to the federation asked who was involved with
>>this and as I said I think the response from Curtis was not very positive.
>>Or perhaps I should say it didn't reflect the attitude with which I've
>>approached making the world a better place for people who are blind, an
>>attitude that has served me well thus far.
>>
>>Kelly
>>

>>At 04:49 PM 2/23/99 -0600, you wrote:
>>>

>>>Kelly,
>>>
>>>First, I accept that we may simply not agree on the best approach to
>>>this situation.  However, I doubt that the NFB is exceptional in that
>>>we have links on our site that go to outside links that are not
>>>accessible by our standards.  I did not read anything in Curtis Chong's
>>>response to you that indicates that this is not of concern nor did he
>>>say that it wouldn't be investigated.  In actual fact, we are more
>>>likely to have an impact on the offending sites by having a link that
>>>causes the inaccessible nature of the various pages to be revealed.
>>>I'm not trying to say this was done by design, but since we are at this
>>>point, we can either do what we can to make changes, or we can quietly
>>>go away and let these pages continue as they are.  I don't think you
>>>just a web page author solely on accessibility.  You have to look at
>>>the author's willingness to learn and change, and as far as I know, we
>>>don't have that information in this case yet.  In saying this, I'm not
>>>trying to attribute some higher motive to picking this shopping
>>>service.  My guess is that it seemed like a pretty painless way to
>>>recover some costs.  But it seems to me that your approach punishes the
>>>NFB to a degree and lets the offending page authors off the hook
>>>completely.
>>>
>>>That is what has troubled me about this whole discussion.  What you are
>>>doing is stimulating in-fighting among blind people with energy that
>>>could be directed at changing the offending web pages.  Let's find out
>>>how open the authors of these pages are to change.  If they are closed
>>>to our concerns, then we evaluate our position.

>>existing
>>that
>>the
>>>>

>>>Steve Jacobson
>>>E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
>>>National Federation of the Blind
>>>
>>>The Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the 3M Company

NFB.