VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"wang.." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 10:14:45 -0400
Hi All:

I really think this is a good article, which points out some very
important things about the disabled people.  This problem can be partially
solved by education.  Today so many new equipments keep coming out to
assist handicapped people, but how many people are trained to use them
CREATIVELY?  If we want to compensate our handicap, we must have and also
be able to demonstrate something  that is better than the other people
around you.  I have realized that many handicapped people lack of self
confidence and feel depressed.  This is because the people around them do
not fully understand them and few people like to tell them about their
unconfortable feeling about the abnormal behavious of the handicaps.  For
example, a sighted person often feel very uncomfortable to talk to a blind
person who does not watch him while they are talking.  However, few
sighted people like to tell this to the blnd persons because they are not
sure if this would heard them.  To change this situation, we also need to
tell the society, or if you are handicapped, you need to let your friends
keep reminding you about those social behavious.  I was very supprised to
find out that very few rehabilitation counclors tell their clints that you
should keep asking your parents or your friends to correct your abnormal
behavious.

Also unless a handicapped person believe he/she can do, this person can
never achieve what he/she wants.  Self confidence is the first of first.
We should tell each other that God has given so many gift that we have
never tried to use yet.

Ren