Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Julie Kangas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:39:20 -0800
On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Raymond, Charles E. x1280 wrote:

> 1.      Leatherman multi-purpose tool
> 2.      A flashlight
> 3.      A large sharp hunting knife (Rambo style of course) I could go on
> all day as to why a knife is much better than a firearm.

Why?  If you want to collect small and large game a firearm
(suitable type of course) will allow you to do so faster
than with a knife alone.  Right now I can see a dove in a tree
outside my window some 75 yards away.  I can get that dove with
a gun. (Yum!) Can you get it with a knife?  I'll admit guns aren't
as 'romantic' but if you want food it's a darn good tool.  If you
are more interested in fun, then take the knife but check your
games laws carefully.  I doubt there's a "knife season" for
deer.  Or any other game for that matter.

But do toss in a couple of small non-Rambo style knives as well
so you don't cut holes through hides and intestines.  I also
like a long-bladed filet knife (Rapala or similar) for separating
joints instead of sawing through them or for boning out meat.

>Plus I can make
> lotsa sharp sticks with my one knife.

Quite frankly, after seeing what even a small deer
can take in way of injury I am content with my firearm.
And I'll bet that any ancient H-G group would have gladly
taken firearms over sharp sticks when it came to surrounding
large ill-tempered animals.  Those things have sharp hooves
and pointy things coming out their heads, you know :)

> 4.      Boots and camo pants - many may not realize it, but one of the many
> functional uses of a pair of camo Army pants (U.S.) tucked into a leather
> boot, is to help protect against snake bites.

It's also good against a smaller terror - ticks.  After playing
in the woods, check yourself for ticks.  No need to get Lyme
disease if you don't have to.

> Any ideas what else an aspiring H/G forager needs to take with him into the
> wild?

Well, again depending on game laws, you might consider trapping
equipment.  This could be as simple as setting small twine
snares for birds (again, check your state laws.  You may need
to get a trapper's license.)  I saw a video where a couple
of !Kung tribesmen set a deceptively simple little snare using
only a bit of naturally made twine, a few sticks and  a small
wild onion.  Didn't take too long to get a tasty guinea fowl.

Julie