C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Sandy Goodwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 22:10:45 -0700
just a thought re: this comment - "To always expect that others will not
accept cycles a self-fulfilling prophecy."

While I don't know the author of the original comment, or this reply (and so
this is hypothetical) may I suggest that self-acceptance and treatment
within society are absolutely inter-related?  I am just wondering if the
person who "always" posts the same question re: self-acceptance has come to
that position via maltreatment by others that has left a significant 'mark'
on that person's personality?

Self-acceptance is never ever done by one person telling another to start
doing it, etc.  It comes through the "back door" of our minds.  I am quite
convinced absolutely no one wants to have 'low' self-acceptance.  While
individuals may tire of someone else's asking the same question over and
over, that is not the same as that person who's doing the asking having the
need to repeat the same question several times.

Self-acceptance, self-esteem, etc., are complex "mindsets".  Mental health
workers take many courses, spend countless hours in a clinical setting,
trying to help raise self-esteem.  Precious few of those mental health
workers have a disability (or are familiar with the dynamics that go along
with having a disability) - and even those "dynamics" don't necessarily
match up, one-to-one, with individual disabilities and life stories.

just my 2 cents