C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 23:02:40 EST
Dearest Beth,

Your words are not awkward, and your kind thoughts have touched my heart.  I
am trying to take care of myself and be attentive to my Mother's needs at the
same time, which is hard.  She has been in so much pain, especially at night,
and cries a lot now.  I don't ever remember seeing her cry before; my Dad was
the most  demonstrative of my parents.  I know she is frightened by this.
I'm glad that I'm home so she doesn't have to be alone.

I wear an ID bracelet now with Tracy Latimer's name and dates of birth and
death inscribed on the band (Nov 23, 1980 - Oct 23, 1993).  This is a
constant reminder to me of my obligation to children with disabilities, and
to pay honor to her memory.  Tracy's future was cut short and the world's
memory of her was not long, as the memory of Jon Benet Ramsey's will be.  But
I am also reminded now that unlike Tracy, my Mother has had a full and long
life.  She had the opportunity to pursue her career, and she was respected in
her field (library science).  If she does not survive this, I can still take
comfort in the knowledge that she has had the opportunity to direct her own
path.

I will be able to celebrate her life instead of mourning her death.

Thanks for your kindness,
Betty

 <A HREF="http://www.discoalition.org/NDYAct/flyers/latimer.htm">The Death of
Tracy Latimer</A>

In a message dated 01/28/2000 9:00:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,