C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Anee Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 20:32:16 EST
In a message dated 12/4/1999 2:29:56 AM Central Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Has anybody seen the ads for the new Adam Sandler {I believe} movie called
 "Gigolo"? It feature him as the title character "dating" women with
 Tourette's syndrome and narcolepsy. Hence, making fun of these disabilities
 and making the assumption that women with disabilities are so desperate we
 must pay for a man's company. I find this appalling. Why are disabilities
 considered an appropriate source of "humor"? Renee >>

Hi everyone:

On that point why is any group considered a source of humor?  Sterotyping
seems to be a way of life how many times have we seen the stero typical
"nerd" or the "jock" or any of those...I have never met anyone that is as far
as the etertainment industry takes these sterio types.  Humor is a part of
life and it is one thing that everyone can be a part of.  Some are the
subject of it more then others--this is true--but dose this meen that humor
should not take place at all?  Lafter has been proven to have benifical to
ones health but what may be funny to one person won't be funny to another
person.  I don't know?  I can't get too upset about it even though I don't
find anything Adam Sandler dose to be funney but that's just not the type of
humor I like.

Women and men with disabilities arn't always the butt of the joke though,
just look at The Other Sister...shure there were some laughs in it...but it
was more the story of a young woman becoming indpendent dispite a disability
and socitey then it was that disability was a thing to be laughed at.  I
think there need to be more movies like this personaly.

Just my too cents.

Anee
http://www.geocities.com/aneecp/CPIC.html