From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 23:50:02 EST

From Bob & Ruth:
----------------

* Outback Steakhouse:  This very popular national chain of steakhouse
  restaurants is a lot more gluten-free (GF) friendly than one might
  think.  No bloke, there ain't a chance in GF Hades for a GF Bloomin'
  Onion.  That goes for the other fried items; Gold Coast Coconut
  Shrimp, the Kookaburra Wings and Chicken Fingers.  But wait there's
  a rainbow--and at the end of the rainbow there's a plate full'a GF
  Aussie Chips.  As a matter of fact that plate could be filled with
  GF Aussie Cheese Fries, if you so desire.

  The "Outback Surf (Crocodile) & Turf (Kangaroo) - Dundee Style" would
  be gluten-free--IF it were on the menu!

  The Prime Rib is OK, but make sure it's not in the Au Jus (which is
  NOT GF).  The Grilled Shrimp On The Barbie are GF, but tell'm NOT to
  put them on TOAST.  The Caesar Salad is GF, but tell'm NO CROUTONS.
  We suggest you DO NOT ask for preparation of your pasta as a
  substitute for non-GF pasta dishes.  The preparation methods they
  use to cook pasta restrict their ability to properly comply with our
  needs.

  The other items NOT GF are the: Soups; Tangy Tomato Dressing, Blue
  Cheese Dressing (All other salad dressings are GF); BBQ Sauce;
  Seasoned Rice; Grilled Onions; Cinnamon Apples; and of course the
  baked goods.  The only meat dish NOT GF are the Ribs On The Barbie.
  All other meats, fish, seafood, and chicken dishes [except those
  listed above] are there for us to enjoy.

  Sydney's Sinful Sundae with homemade chocolate sauce is GF, but you
  may request their GF homemade caramel sauce instead.  Decisions,
  decisions!

* Highlights of the Villa Roma Gluten Free Catskill Getaway:  Food,
  food, glorious food!  During the day the sky was clear and blue with
  puffy white clouds, the sunshine bright.  The evenings cool and the
  sky starfilled.  Entertainment and activities galore and yet, the
  most important part of everyone's day seemed to be MEALTIME!

  The Villa Roma Resort Hotel's Executive Chef Tom and waitress
  Claudia's goal during our stay seemed to be spoiling us all beyond
  belief.  Just a sampling of some of our gluten-free (GF) treats:
  Muffins, pancakes, French toast, hot cereal, bagels, pizza, burgers
  and hotdogs with buns, a different pasta course (entrement) each
  night, fantastic minestrone soup, spare ribs, fried calamari
  [editor's note:  Yuck!], prime rib, osso buco, gravies, coconut
  custard, chocolate and lemon meringue pies, famous tortufo and much,
  much, more!  These are just some of the GF foods.

  Highlights of the trip included: most of us putting on a few pounds
  (all those goodies sneaked back to their rooms); the kids loved the
  various day camp activities; horse back riding; winning money at the
  bingo tables and the infamous "horse races"; walking the Appalachian
  trail; Jim Lyles winning a second place prize for free-throw hoops,
  beating out all those 10 year olds [editor's note:  They were NOT 10
  years old; they were mostly older teens and 20-somethings.  Humph!];
  visiting the mansions; Hyde Park; and even Central Park in New York
  City; and for others, just laying by the pool relaxing.

  All of us there made some great friendships and put in a vote to do
  it again next year!

* Chef's Interview:  During the Catskill Getaway, Bob and Ruth sat
  down with Chef Tom Kutschera, Executive Chef at the Villa Roma
  Resort Hotel.  Here are a few of the questions they asked:

Q: You did such a great job for us at every meal, especially desserts.
   What was really going on in the kitchen?

A: When I was initially asked if I could do a GF diet for your group I
   didn't realize the attention to detail that you required.
   Reviewing the contents of our salad dressings, soup bases, sour
   cream, cottage cheese, etc. and our cooking procedures--was a real
   pain initially, but it made us appreciate what you guys (Celiacs)
   have to go through when eating out or at home.  It made my job more
   meaningful to be able to be of help by complying to your strict
   requirements.  After the first day I and my staff began to relax
   and have the ability to be more creative.  Wait until next time!

Q: What do you suggest Celiacs staying at a resort without a group do
   to be provided with GF food?

A: When making reservations let them know you have special dietary
   needs.  Request a meeting with the chef for when you arrive.  Don't
   wait until the last minute to mention your needs.  Of course we
   cannot do for one individual what we can do for a larger group.
   Bring any mixes or products you might want us to use.  Be prepared
   to teach the chef what he needs to know to serve your needs.  Don't
   expect him to know the intricacies of a GF diet.

Did you find the preceding articles of value?  Could you use some help
with the diet when you are dining out?  Does a GF cruise or vacation,
such as next May's getaway cruise to Alaska, sound irresistible?  If
so, you should consider joining Bob & Ruth's Gluten-Free Dining &
Travel Club.  Membership is $40/year, and includes a quarterly
newsletter (from which the preceding articles were reprinted, with
permission), plus discounts and first priority for any trips that Bob
and Ruth organize.  To join, send your name, address, phone number,
e-mail address (if you have one), and $40 to:  Bob & Ruth's GF Dining
& Travel Club, 22 Breton Hill Rd., Suite 1B, Pikesville, MD  21208.