VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:46:25 -0800
Hi All,

The following can be found at:

http://www.interguru.com/mailconv.htm>

In terms of being screen reader friendly, the web site I'll mention below
is a bit of a challenge.  The results, at least in my case, were impressive
though and that's why I'm mentioning it here.  Basically this web site is a
utility to convert your email addressbook from one email program to
another.  In my case I wanted to convert from Pine to Eudora.

Along with links to several news clippings, shareware reminders (The site's
developer requests a user fee if you find it helpful.) and other such
trivia, the opening page for this web site has two series of radio buttons
which you must navigate to indicate the email program you are converting
from and to.  The radio buttons and prompts seem to confuse both JFW and
Window-Eyes in that as you arrow through the various choices you hear the
prompt "from and to" read repeatedly.  If you keep in mind that the first
set of options are for the source email client and the second for the new
program, you will likely have better results.  Just a reminder, the right
and left arrow keys toggle between options within a specific set of radio
buttons and the Tab key takes you to the next set of choices.  After
setting your from and to email programs, you must choose the Continue button.

As an aside it is the kind of web design that the site uses to make these
initial settings that frustrates me.  The end result of all these radio
buttons is that you are taken to nothing more than another URL.  I could
understand this if you were passing parameters to some script or something
but why not simply have links to the various options instead of using the
radio buttons.

For what it is worth, those wishing to convert from Pine to Eudora can
bypass the opening screen by going to the direct URL of:

http://www.interguru.com/pineeudo.htm

For most of the conversion options you choose, the second stage of the
process is similar.  You are taken to a page with any program-specific
instructions and given the steps you must take to make the conversion
happen.  Again in the case of Pine to Eudora, I first had to use a radio
button to indicate that I was using a Windows computer.  This was the
default setting for the radio button.

Next I had to give the filename I wanted to convert.  If you are converting
from Pine to Eudora or any other program, you must first get the
.addressbook file to your own computer off of your UNIX account.  It is
suggested that you transfer the file using an FTP client with a transfer
setting of ASCII to deal with the fact that UNIX and DOS indicate line
endings with different characters.

There is an edit box as the next link you can tab to after the radio button
indicating computer platform.  I'd suggest typing the direct path and
filename of the file you want to convert here.  The web site has a file
browse feature but neither JFW or Window-Eyes recognized the button used to
bring up this feature when tabbing through links.

After entering your filename press tab until you find a button that says
"press Button" and press the Enter key.

In a few minutes you'll have a text version of the newly converted
addressbook on your screen.  Use your web browser's File Save As feature to
save the results to disk.  Assuming you are using Internet Explorer or
Netscape, press alt-f then "a".  In the dialog that comes up enter the full
path and filename of your email program's addressbook.  In the typical
installation of Eudora this would be c:\eudora\nndbase.txt

If you already have names stored in a Eudora addressbook, do not use this
web site without reading the more detailed instructions on how to handle
the merging of new addresses into your existing addressbook.  Also if you
have previously run Eudora but not saved addresses, you should delete the
file nndbase.toc from the Eudora directory so the software can recreate it
now that you've put a new addressbook in place.