From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 07:28:15 -0600
From: Lonnie McPherson <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 1999 11:05 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] I'm Stumped, Can Anyone Help?

> I have been trying to assemble a computer for a family member, but
have ran
> into hard drive problem/s that have me "stumped."
> I am trying to partition, format and boot from a hard drive, however,
> things do go wrong. I have
> tried this with three different hard drives, with no success, using a
> Windows 98 SE, Windows 95,
> and DOS 6.22 Start-Up disks, each made from different computers.
>
> is a AMD K6-2, 450 MHz, total RAM, 131072 K, and motherboard, EPOX,
EP-MVP3G.

You appear to be fixated on this being a problem with the hard drive.
It seems unlikely that this would be a virus since you are partitioning
and formatting the hard drive and have tried boot disks from different
computers.  Since you have tried more than one hard drive and more than
one type of startup disk and still have the same problem, which appears
to be limited to the system locking up, I think you should look
elsewhere for the problem ... unless you have more evidence that points
to the problem being with the hard drive or to a virus.  What kind of
memory are you using?  Is it PC100 compatible?  Can you try some known
good memory from another computer?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org