From:
Patrick C Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 16:18:27 -0500
The CD has to be bootable in order to boot to CD. Linux( Mandrake) is
bootable and Windows 2000, and NT 4 are bootable CDs.  They just start the
installation process.

There really is not a reason to have it set on unless to want to install Win
NT or Linux. Win9x CD are NOT bootable. Having the CD bootable is good for
such OS installations or if you want to recover your HD from a backup image
on CD. However, its is very complicated to actually create a bootable CD. As
far as I know there aren't any programs to make a CD-R bootable.

--Patrick Black