From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 00:09:20 -0800
On 31 Oct 99, at 7:51, Jonathan Navarro wrote:

> The ISA SCSI card(DTC), it's a self terminated card, that is why you don't
> have any SCSI terminators on the scanner. Connect the scanner to your
> Adaptec 2906, no terminators needed on the back of the scanner.
>
> Enter the Adaptec BIOS(Ctrl+A) and terminate the external connector.
>
> HTH.
>
>  Jonathan Navarro
>  ACER TSR.

  My understanding is that a SCSI bus needs to be terminated at both
ends.  If there are only devices attached to one connector on the
controller card, the card can terminate one end of the bus -- but the
other end *cannot* be terminated by the controller.  Either it is
terminated at the last device, or it is left unterminated and you
cross your fingers -- it *might* work.
  [If the card has more than one connector, the controller might not
be at an end of the bus, but somewhere in the middle.  That's why you
need to be able to turn off termination at the controller in the
Adaptec BIOS.]

  So I find it difficult to believe that the explanation quoted above
is correct.

David G