From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:14:34 -0400
Mike,

In most cases, these files are just leftover trash and can be safely deleted
without any worry.

Not all, but most (many?) of these things are created when Windows is not
shut down properly or there is a semi-major software crash (blue screens and
unrecoverable errors).  Typically they are the temporary files that windows
or an application was using for it's background operations and they got
abandoned when the pc was shut off prematurely (due to a system crash or
power loss or the operator just turning off the unit).

That sets the stage.

Now there are all these abandoned/orphaned files on the disk.  Then someone
decides to run SCANDISK which says "Hey, I've found this stuff out here that
nobody claims.  What do you want me to do with it?"  And most people hit the
FIX IT button...... voila....FILE0001.CHK is born and probably 002 and 003
and......

What is the date of these monster files?
If they are more than a week old, it is a pretty safe bet that they are not
needed.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====