From:
Edna Sloan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:19:47 -0500
Thanks all for your input.  I should have given more info, but didn't think
to at the time.  anyway, the computer stops when it reboots after loading
W98 drivers and gives two options, one to enable CDROM support and the other
to enable DVDROM support.  Then after I choose the CDROM option, the screen
shows the Oakcdrom information and then a message under this that it cannot
find "OEM CDROM" and "cannot continue with the install."

The support CD came with a batch file to make a boot diskette which I used.
It had a menu for various disk functions--FDISK, FORMAT, Suspend to disk
partition, install W98, etc.  I used the install selection and it did
install drivers in the Windows\CDROM folder-- referred to in config.sys and
autoexec.bat files.  The CDRom works during install using the Oakcdrom
driver but on reboot it can't find driver it wants(?).  In safe mode I
checked in Device Manager and it showed a Matsushita CD drive under the CD
listing.  I checked the Windows\CDrom folder and all the drivers from the
boot diskette are there, a number of them are something like Aspi. . .,
another Oakcdrom.sys, and another Kineatapi.sys(this one is in the line in
config.sys with a ". . ./d: oemcdrom" at the end and the correct path).   I
also tried installing W98 with a regular boot disk from another working
machine.  It had the same result.  Should I try putting the Oakcdrom.sys in
the config file?  Or changing the "oemcdrom" to something else?  Should I
reformat and start over?  What is the difference between the full version
and OEM new-computer-only version of W98?  Any help much appreciated.
Edna Sloan