From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 11:31:40 -0500
> Packard Bell POS, Evergreen 200Mxx Upgrade, Win 95a, Norton
> Anti-Virus 5.0
>
> Yes, I know, I needed to ask this sooner, but I thought I was
> covered. In October, I ran the OnMark 2000 BIOS Test v.3.02
> and it reported that I was Y2k compliant. I also ran the
> MacAfee 2000 Toolbox Hardware Check. It too said I was ok. I
> did have Norton Anti-Virus already installed, when I ran both
> of these checks.
>
> Within the last few days, I received an email from a
> distributor of Bug Doctor 2000. I scanned the demo and it
> reported 39 instances of software problems. They also offered
> a demo of their hardware BIOS test. I tried that out. Well,
> according to it, my computer fails the RTC test. I ran the
> OnMark and the 2000 Toolbox again and both reported that my
> hardware passes.
>
> So now I'm totally confused. Is my pc y2k ready or not? I
> don't understand this business with the anti-virus. Do you
> have to disable the Auto-Protect feature of the Norton
> program, when I run any tests or fixes to software.
>
> I know I must sound like I'm not with the program, but I
> really thought I was covered hardware wise, not all of my
> software.

        OK, so the question is, is your system Y2K compliant? My answer is: Does it
matter? Unless you have date sensitive material and your PC runs your
business Y2K compliance is not a life or death concern. Look at it this way,
what will happen if you PC thinks it's 1900? Well, some of your files will
have the wrong date stamp and your emails will have the wrong date, but
aside from that unless you have programs processing two digit years
mathematically and your computer is used for mission critical apps (be it
your small business or a nuclear power plant) this sort of error, though a
nuisance, is fixable after the fact. I have had so many conflicting reports
from Y2K "testers" that I am suffering a "boy who cried wolf" mentality. I
have yet to hear of one case of a modern PC system refusing to work, boot or
response because of Y2K problems, if I am wrong in this please let me know.
        Now that my rambling is complete... as for your concerns, it is very likely
that some of your software is not Y2K compliant, but again, unless they are
sensitive to the date (task schedulers in antivirus programs do come to
mind) the programs won't be affected. Best bet is to check the manufacture's
web page for an update to the software you are using fixing any problems,
but only concentrate on programs that are date sensitive. For example, a
virus program that can be scheduled for scans probably is sensitive, a
standalone spell checker most likely is not. Since your hardware tested out
fine on two programs but not on one chances your system will not "turn over"
properly but does accept 2000 as a valid year, simple solution is that you
will have to reset the date to 2000 once and then won't have to again. Hope
this helped, TTYL