From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:23:32 -0700
>Chickens wild ancestors lived in djungles. There are no grass seeds in
>the djungle, or very few at least, but of course there are other seeds.
>I think that a chicken should eat quite a lot of insects, to be naturally
>fed.
Yes absolutly chickens raised on selected grains suffer from a lack of
animal proteins . They are principally insects eater and proteins rich
seeds,
The taste of an egg raised on insects, seeds and even selected grains  , but
with free choice access to thoses foods ( not mixed ) is very different that
the taste of chicken eggs raised on organic feed ( cracked organic grains
and by products of the soy industry and oil processing). In the 1st , the
chicken are allowed to regulate their food with their senses, in the 2nd
they don't have any choice of what they eat.
When it come to commercial feed, that is even worst because pellets are
cooked , .
I have access easy now to organic free range eggs but am very unsatisfied
compared to eggs raised instinctively. And it is clear that if i don't
produce eggs myself and the food for the chicken , i am not going to get the
quality that i ask for years from my farmer friends.
Quality food ask a big commitment to produce it
jean-claude