NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:23:57 EDT
In a message dated 9/12/00 11:38:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< what more evidence do you need?  Cold hard experience
 weighs more than "medical data" in my book.  My son (23 months) has the
 same reaction to dairy, and that is how I know he is allergic to it.  I'm
 not interested in having him go through any tests to tell me, yep, he's
 allergic to dairy.  My own test is simple.  I place a drop of milk on his
 arm and presto, we have hives!
 It seems to me that the preschool should believe you and honor your
 wishes for a dairy free diet. >>

I share your thoughts, but part of me thinks that a test would let me know
MORE.  For example, I am assuming he is not anaphlactic, because he eats tiny
bits now and then..sometimes with no visible reaction.  He has had tiny bites
of cheese which doesn't seem to cause a reaction (but if the cheese is rubbed
on his skin he gets hives).  What if I'm wrong though?  Could a test tell me
if an epi-pen is warranted?  That is my biggest concern.  All I have in case
of a reaction is liquid benedryl.

So far, the school is very accomodating.  Their snack consists of about 4
crackers and some juice.  I packed several safe varieties in a tupperware and
taped his name and a list of "milk ingredients" on the outside.   But we all
know how easy accidents can happen and I want to be prepared.  Jayton knows
he can have his snacks only,  but he is a kid..temptation can be great!

I had never thought of milk carton crafts!  Thanks for the tip on that one.

We are in Olympia, WA

jen