BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Met History <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:11:19 EST
In a message dated 01/06/2000 10:55:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I would like to consider the glass floor solution elsewhere, gaining
>  the glow of light streaming through walkways.  The hysteria issue
>  aside, I would like to know if there is source to glass floor systems
>  still available.  Anyone know of any...old style, restoration or new?

As cited, Cas Stackelberg seems to be the person on top of this - I've never
examined his master's thesis at Avery.  A recent "restoration" at the
Ottendorfer Library on Second Avenue included at least some work on a glass
deck system:

"William Schickel designed a rear extension for the Ottendorfer Library in
1897; this included a new system for open stack access by patrons, a double
gallery of iron book stacks with thick glass flooring and a central light
well."  (NY Times 1.31.99 - hey, Jim, you don't clip every one??)

Architect on that one was: Gavin MacCrae-Gibson voice: 212-294-2940 fax:
294-2941.

But Jim, didn't BBB do anything to the glass decking at Grand Central.  I
would have thought your soup-to-nuts job would have dealt with that.  I have
looked for, but never found, period references to the glass decking there.

Christopher Gray
Office for Metropolitan History
246 West 80th Street, #8, NYC  10024
212-799-0520  fax -0542