From:
Dan Shaughnessy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 22:57:44 -0600
This sounds correct.  The K6-3's have 256k of L2 cache built onto the chip.
Your utility is probably seeing that cache and reporting it as external.
The 2 MB on the board is actually used as a L3 cache with these chips and
your utility probably doesn't recognize this.

Dan shaughnessy

Begin quote:

I have a strange issue. I have a DFI (K6BV3+) Mother board with 2 Megs of
cache. I had the board in another machine using a K6II 450 chip and 64 Megs
of Memory, a Trident Bade 8 Meg AGP Vid card and a standard CD ROM. I used
"Trouble shooter" on it and it reported 2048 K of External cache. I moved
the board over to my machine with a K6III 450, 64 Megs of Ram, a 3D Banshee
AGP vid card, a sound blaster live card, creative 7160 decoder card and a
Gen 5 DVD. the same "Trouble shooter" disk then reports 256k of external
cache! This is the second board that did this. My question is, any ideas on
what is causing it to read wrong? Is it possibly a resource conflict?, and
do I then really have only 256K of functional cache or is it working
properly and just reporting it wrong in this program for some reason? I is
there any way to find out how much cache I in fact am using?

End quote

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html