From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 20:19:58 -0700
At 02:56 PM 11/04/1999 , Doug White wrote:
>         I recently upgraded an older P166 computer for a friend.  I added more
>memory and a higher capacity hard drive.
>
>         However, the "new" drive was a 4.2 gig drive formatted with Win98 (I
>removed from another computer).  His machine had a 2 gig drive with Win95
>on it.
>
>         I reformatted the 4gig drive to remove the Fat32 formatting and then made
>two 2 gig partitions to make it consistent with the Win95 partition
>limitation.  I then re-installed Win95 on it and installed the drive as the
>primary drive.
>
>         I then set the old 2 gig drive as a slave drive.
>
>         When I first installed the 4 gig drive with Win98 still on it, both drives
>were visible and accessible from Explorer.
>
>         But when I reformatted the 4 gig drive to Win95 (to be consistent with the
>older drive that has all his old files on it), Explorer "sees" the two new
>partitions as drive "C" and "D" and it "sees" the old drive as drive "E"
>but drive "E" cannot be accessed.  Drive "E" is visible but Explorer shows
>it as "0" bytes and won't access the drive.
>
>         What do I need to do to get Win95 to "see" and access drive "E"?

I am concerned you have some basic setup issues.  Microsoft products
assign drive letters first to the primary partitions on all hard drives, then
to the secondary and other partitions.  So, if your system was configured
properly, the new drive would be 'C' and 'E' and the old 2gig drive would
be 'D'.  If you have tried to follow one of those "I can configure any drive
to be any drive letter" FAQs found on the Internet to create the drive
"C" and "D" on the new drive, that maybe your problem.  All though it can
be done...  it takes the patience of JOB to do it and often a lot of tweaking
to keep it there...

If you cannot access the 'E' drive, it is the secondary, or should be the
secondary partition on your 4gig drive.  I would go back and confirm
your have the jumpers set properly on both drives, that the ribbon data
cable is well installed and working...  and that you have only the
'C' drive as active in FDISK.

Another question arises about the CD Rom drive in the system... and
how are all these drives configured to the controllers?  What brand
are these drives?  There were some compatibility issue with smaller
Big foot drives and other drives in the same computer...  that makes me
wonder.

Tell us a bit more about the system..  brands and models of hard drives,
configuration on the controller and CD Rom configuration....

        Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group