From:
Mary Elise Zimlich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:57:51 -0400
I have a hard drive that somehow has errors in the FAT (evidently two
copies), and other errors, too. Both scandisk and Norton Disk Doctor say
the drive needs a low level format. This was the primary drive in this
computer. I took it out and installed another hard drive, I put the drive
with errors back in to salvage some files I had not backed up (mainly, my
collection of blonde jokes, and yes, I'm a blonde), I have been able to get
what I wanted off the drive now.
My question is can someone recommend a utility, freeware would be
exceptionally great, to do a low level format of this drive?
The computer is a Dell 166 pentium. The hard drive is a western digital
caviar 2.5 GB. I have 64 megs of RAM and run win 98. The drive is now the
slave drive while I salvage my jokes.

Thanks to this list I had the courage to install the new hard drive, up
grade the BIOS, reinstall the old save to save my jokes, and I knew where
to go to find the jumper settings to make the old drive a slave. What a
great list.

Thanks,
Mary
PS: I hope I have the right list, as this is a software/hardware question.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html