From:
Bob Chapel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:31:30 -0400
Mark,

You might want to remove the remark 'rem' in front of the last statement in
your config.sys file...no you don't need a CD-ROM driver in order to run
Win95 but you do need one to run the CD-ROM....also...it is my
understanding (though I am not absolutely positive about this in Win95 that
you have to include a path to 'mscdex.exe' and the location of the CD ROM
somewhere in your autoexec.bat as well....between the two maneuvers I would
expect that the drive would work.
I'm sure others will elaborate on this point.

Best,
Bob Chapel

At 09:28 AM 9/16/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Problem 1: my cdrom shows in bios, show on boot screen, works with the HP
>recovery disk, but doesn't show and isn't accessible in any way in Windows.
>Problem 2: in Device Manager, under Hard disk controller, It shows an Intel
>82371ABPCI Bus Master IDE Controller. The primary and secondary IDE
>controlllers both have exclamation marks on them but show no conflict. Under
>Performance it says that drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file
>system.  Eveything else (sound, multimedia, etc.) works fine.
>
>The Autoexec.bat file is as follows:
>
>@echo off
>C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE\VIRUSS~1\SCANPM.EXE C:\
>@if errorlevel 1 pause
>REM To make a DOS Boot Diskette; See the file C:\DOSBOOT\DOSBOOT.TXT
>path C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
>SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2
>SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS
>SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=60
>SET SST_RGAMMA=1.70
>SET SST_GGAMMA=1.70
>SET SST_BGAMMA=1.70
>
>The config.sys is as follows:
>
>REM To make a DOS Boot Diskette; See the file C:\DOSBOOT\DOSBOOT.TXT
>[common]
>dos=high,umb
>buffers=40
>device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:off
>DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
>rem The below DOS CD ROM driver is not required to run Windows 95.
>rem DEVICEHIGH=c:\cdrom\FDATACD.SYS /D:IDECD000 /C:170,15,376
>
>The computer is a Hewlitt-Packer 8240, 233mhz P-2, 64 megs ram. Diamond
>monster video card (device manager shows this as 3dfx Interactive Inc.
>(VooDoo)). The cdrom is a Gold Star 8240 24x cdrom.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Mark Hayden
>
>         The PCBUILD web site always needs good submissions.  If
>          you would like to contribute to the website, send any
>               hardware tech tips or hardware reviews to:

Robert Chapel
Coordinator MIS
CCMH Inc
2 Park Ave