From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:52:13 -0000
On  Wednesday, March 01, 2000 1:47 AM, Sami Garzon <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

<snip to avoid excessive quoting> still didn't worked (and without computer
I couldn't write for advice
><g>), so I opened the Power Supply and looked in the wires to see if
>someone was broken or not in place. It looked everything OK, so I blew
>the dust, closed the P/S and turned it (the computer) on. To my surprise,
>the computer worked fine. I'm not sure if the problem was really the P/S,
> if it was some coincidence or even if it was a miracle -- but as it
>worked I didn't thought about it any more.

<snip>  I know all this is very supperficial and that it will be very
>difficult to say anything only based in this info. Anyway, I hope somebody
>will have any idea of whats not ok and of what should I do.

Your problem is a rather difficult one to answer and troubleshoot. It is
hard to not rule out  initially that the power supply  is your culprit at
this point. OTOH,  since you don't seem to have any electrical power to the
PC,  you cannot boot the machine into Safe mode to further diagnose where
the problem(s) lie.  In that case, some of my suggestions will be repeats of
the steps  that you may have already taken but my purpose is only to get the
real focus of what is happening.

 If you can't get any light activity or can't see anything on the monitor,
then one of the first  things to check is to see if all of the power
plugs are plugged in and are turned on. It may seem that this is the most
obvious thing to look  for, but when you have moved the computer around a
lot in some repair or upgrade activity; a plug
could have been pulled loose.  If you have eliminated the external power
connections, have you done any upgrades inside the computer, which may have
disrupted some of the data, cables or power cables inside? For  example if
you have just put in a new CD-ROM or  hard drive, you may have hooked up the
data cable backwards. In a majority of cases this would cause the computer
not to start at all.  Check the data cable and make sure that the red
or blue stripe is connected on the pin one side of the device and is also at
pin one on the computer side. A less likely thing to check for the above
condition is to look at the memory strips. Make                 sure each
one of them is in place and connected, as they should be. Sometimes working
inside the tight confines of computers, you can pop one of these strips
loose.

In the event that you are able to restore power to your system as you have
before, try booting the computer into Safe Mode if you have either Win95 or
Win98. In 'safe  mode' try to uninstall any hardware lines or software you
may have added just before the crash, if  that is applicable.  Not all
hardware and software can be eliminated  from here, but some can. With
Win98, if  you  can get to the command prompt and use 'Scanreg /restore'  to
check the registry for any problems and the registry is not corrupted, you
can have 'Scanreg /restore'  will allow you to install  the last backup it
made before the crash. This should get the computer back to where it was.
From here you can begin to make corrections so it will work as it should. If
you are able to to more info, pls post it to the list and other list members
and myself may be able to help you further. HTH. :-)

Walter R. Worth

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>