From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 08:53:30 -0500
People respond to lectins and antinutrients in different ways because of
differing immune systems. A brief study may not be enough to determine the
long-term effects of eating potatoes, and the effects would, most likely,
not be identical for all study participants.

The "non-paleo" foods tend to cause a net deficiency in vitamins because of
their antivitamin content. Potatoes are an excellent example of this
phenomenon. A diet dominated by potatoes leads to a Vitamin A deficiency and
is responsible for blindness in large numbers of children around the world.
See the following article for detailed info:

Stahl, Ann Brower, "Hominid Dietary Selection Before Fire." CURRENT
ANTHROPOLOGY vol. 25, no. 2 (April 1984), 151-168.

Troy G.