Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 22:53:36 -0400
Ben Balzer wrote:

>2. Is it a seed? If so, avoid it. Phylogenetically seeds share the same
>problems- they contain toxins (protease inhibitors, haemagglutins)(to freeze
>their metabolism and fight pests), and secondary metabolites (half processed
>chemicals to help speed early growth)., etc, etc.

>Now coconuts pass test A1, but fail test A2 and test C. Coconuts are a seed,
>not a fruit. We can expect them to contain a range of toxins and being New
>World, and a radically different type of plant, they are likely to be even

First coconuts are not New World. Their method of floating their seeds for
thousands of miles has allowed them to grow in all of the tropics troughout
the world. They are so spread out that no one knows for sure where they
started. But the theory is they started in a part of India, as in that
place there is a lobster with one claw that is strong enough to crack a
coconut. The belief is they codeveloped.

But your thing of including nuts as seeds is ignoring that nuts use their
hard shells to keep predators away. So they need less toxins.

Don.