From:
"Wade H. Reeser" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:43:14 -0400
At 10:23 AM 9/24/1999 +0200, you wrote:
>Mary wrote:
>>>
>>>Vitamin C is very hard to get from animal body sources.
>
>> The author of CANCER, DISEASE OF CIVILIZATION, directly
>>contradicts al of
>>this. The hunter gatherers were living very well without disease on
>>meat/fish/fats only, he says. The meat could be lightly cooked or
>>raw. hey
>>had no evidence of degenerative diseases of modern civilization such
>>as diabetes, etc. The author stated the
>>BEST source for Vitamin C is fresh meat.
>
>Then, please state which kind of hunter gatherers are it, that live
>on "meat/fish/fats only".
>The only ones which I personally know are Inuit, which are reported
>to be able to live on only 13mg VitaminC per day (versus 70mg RDA).
>This may be part of a genetic niche adaption nobody else has.
>(whatever implications on health it has).
>Possibly because in their diet the antioxidant property of vitamin C
>comes from Vitamin E of fish.

If you would take the time to read some of the references (e.g.
Cancer, Disease of Civilization) you would see that fresh meat was
used to sustain Europeans for months and even treat established
scurvy cases.  Uninformed conjectures about replacing vitamin C with
other antioxidants seems way off base.  Also, the Inuit diet most
commonly represented is the Greenland Inuit with lots of fish.  This
was mostly seasonal and other tribes inland made great use of caribou
and had little fish.  Anyway, this comes back to the point the people,
all people and not mutants with exclusive metabolic pathways, can
THRIVE off meat (incl. organs).

   Wade Reeser