Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 23:09:59 -0500
> Some say that the governments insistence on giving huge amounts of sugar,
> white flour, roasted peanuts, cheese and Crisco to Indians as staple food
> subsidies is a continuation of genocidal policies.  I think Indians have
> the highest rate of diabetes compared to other ethnic groups.
> --Lynda

My sister lives in Oklahoma and works with a Mandan-Hidatsa
Indian who told her that among his people the diabetes rate
is 90%.
Mandan-Hidatsas are from North Dakota.   The standard
American diet appears to
be having a devastating effect.  However, she does not think
the government
is giving certain foods to Indians in an effort at
genocide.  The government is
simply giving them the same foods that government agencies
advocate as healthy.
She also said that these are the same foods that the
government employees consume.

She and her friend have talked about diet and she suggested
that he should return
to the diet that his ancestors ate.  He said he knew that
and said he has two gardens.
One garden is for modern day vegetables.  The second garden
that is grown in the
country is being grown from very old seed.  He acquired
seeds from medicine bundles
that were over a century old.  He plans to save seed from
that garden to propagate
the old vegetable types.  He also has purchased buffalo, and
will butcher one of
them this fall.

She told me that the web site Heirloom Seeds only sells open
pollinated seeds. http://www.heirloomseeds.com/index.html

Marylee